Mumps is an epidemic infectious disease that is easy to occur in winter and spring. Children aged 5 to 15 are most susceptible to this disease. This disease is also known as pig head madness and big mouth. Children often have swollen half-faces like a hoe, accompanied by pain and fever. How is mumps spread? How to take care of mumps? How to prevent it?
What is mumps?
Mumps is an acute respiratory infectious disease caused by mumps virus. It is clinically characterized by parotid enlargement and pain, and various salivary glands and organs can be affected. The disease is highly contagious, often spreading in kindergartens and schools. Lifetime immunity can be obtained after one infection, but individuals with low levels of individual antibodies can also be infected again.
How to care for children with mumps?
1. Give a light, digestible semi-liquid or soft food, drink plenty of water, avoid acidic, hard, spicy and other irritating foods, so as not to aggravate the pain, gargle with normal saline after eating.
2, local swelling of the parotid glands can be cold.
3. Patients with fever and complications should rest in bed until the body temperature is normal, and the child's body temperature is <38.5 ° C. The child may be given a reduced cover and a warm water rubbing bath; when the body temperature is ≥38.5 ° C, antipyretics may be given.
4. Isolate the child 3 days after the parotid enlargement subsides.
How to prevent mumps?
1. Open windows and ventilate the room, suitable temperature and humidity, disinfect the mouth and nasal secretions and pollutants.
2. Inoculate live attenuated mumps vaccine on time. Children should avoid crowded public places.